6/featured/slider1

Travels: Copenhagen Part One

Hello hello hello. It's a few weeks into 2017 now (how did that happen!!?) and I think I'm finally ready to pick my blog back up again properly. It's been several months because I've been busy interning and working and working on a few secret design projects but I'm back with a fresh layout and a lot of ideas... I think I've figured out how to mash together travel and art stuff in a way that's just 'me' and my 'lifestyle'.

The other week I took a solo trip to Copenhagen for a few days on my way to Norway. I'd promised a number of people I would go with them but when I found £3.99 flights it was too good to miss... that being said if any of you are reading this I WILL STILL GO WITH YOU! There is so much I didn't get to see/do and there was such an outdoorsy feel with lots of stuff which I think would be much better enjoyed in summer and not in minus seven degrees. When it comes to exploring, the adrenaline within me means my stamina goes above and beyond and I honestly didn't sit down for 18 hours on my middle day in Copenhagen. There are few cities I have ever fallen in love with quite SO quickly as Copenhagen (ok... maybe Barcelona, Budapest and Florence) but the vibe is perfectly creative, chilled and everything is soooooo beautifully designed - buildings, graphics, shops everything! I'm going to spread this out over a few posts, today's being my highlights of things to do.






The Design Museum
Easily my favourite thing of everything I did in Copenhagen! The Danish Design Museum is free for under 26s and contains a comprehensive collection of textiles, furniture, posters, products etc etc. Of course my fave bit was the fashion and textiles rooms but whilst I was there, they also had exhibitions on what we can learn from Japanese design and a room dedicated to 'the Danish chair'. Pretty sure half my enjoyment just came from the absolutely gorgeous simple scandi style interiors, the grey walls, simplistic plinths and floors perfectly offset all the items on exhibit. (The gift shop was beautiful tooooo.)



The Worker's Museum
Confession: I actually only went into the Worker's Museum because I was walking by and desperate for the loo. But I had a great time and genuinely highly recommend it. This was actually one of the only things I had to pay for on my whole trip, but if you're into social history like me it's really worth it! The museum takes you through the introduction of workers' rights and the affect they had on living standards, via the story a working class Copenhagen family. I have to admit I didn't really understand what was going on in some rooms as there were limited signs with English translations. The bottom floor had exhibits of modern political movements, whilst the cafe sold only retro refreshments!





Superkilen
The metro in Copenhagen is really pricey but the city is pretty compact and you can walk everywhere. However, the walk to Superkilen was pretty long - it's worth doing it above ground though because you pass by not only Copenhagen lakes but the nicest selection of cafes/little shops the whole way down Norrebrogade. Superkilen is a park of sorts, divided into three sections (red, green, black) and to celebrate the capital's diversity, it holds a collection of items from around the world - you can download an app to get info on the background of all the random bits and bobs. 




Go to Sweden
(I actually forgot to take any photos, so this one is a google special just to illustrate my point about the awesome bus journey!!) Malmo is a short trip from Copenhagen and probably easier than visiting anywhere else in Denmark. You can get the train 24 hours a day, but as that was pretty pricey I opted to take the bus, which takes a much more scenic route across an ocean bridge anyway. I didn't really have a plan once I got there (and totally forgot I'd need different money!!), so I just pottered around for an hour or two before getting the bus back. But it was really cool and a totally different vibe!




Get some perspective at Tarnet Tower
The tower at Christiansborg Palace is free to go up and open fairly late compared to other attractions so you can see the city at day or night. I think I turned up at about 8pm on a Thursday and there was no queue at all so I went straight up. There aren't any really tall buildings in the city centre but there are a couple of other options of towers you can climb, including the church at Christiana and the Round Tower, but as those both charge and aren't as central I'd recommend Tarnet.





The Botanic Gardens
Yet another free attraction! The Botanic Gardens were a lot like a mini Kew but without the mega entrance fee. Definite must if like me you are silly enough to go in January and need to warm up!




Christiana Freetown
The former military barracks have been created into something I'm not even sure how to describe, a community spirited creative area which is completely pedestrianised and independent from the Danish government. It is filled with brightly painted homes, arts venues and structures made from reclaimed materials. As very few things in the city centre are open in the mornings, I spent the (coldest) sunrise (of my life) walking around Christiana. You are advised not to take any photos in the area, so  out of respect the only one I took faced outwards across the water. 






See the Sights from "The Danish Girl"
One of the best films from recent years, The Danish Girl really does show Copenhagen's best bits - including the rows of yellow ochre houses on cobbled streets "Nyboder" and the famous harbour area "Nyhavn".


Other Art Galleries/Museums
The Louisiana Museum of Modern Arts a short train ride away on the coast this museum was sooooo much better than I expected, I'm not usually a fan of modern art but this museum really did it "right", Statens Museum for Kunst (national art museum) - worth remembering this is open late on Wednesdays, as is the Kunsthal Charlottenborg. 




Part two coming up later this week!


Naomi 



No comments