6/featured/slider1

Out & About: Budapest Poster Gallery

Using a combination of bold shapes and linework, midcentury illustration is a style which developed through it's ease to reproduce on a mass scale. Using print to the best of its technical capabilities for the era, examples displayed in the Budapest Poster Gallery range from transport information to food advertising. Through block colours, mark making and negative space characters/cenery are created to form a narrative. I feel somewhat as though the "Country Mornings" prints I have created thus far already have some level of mid-century style influence, however my visit to the Budapest Poster Gallery opened my eyes to how creative print advertising of the era was. Was one of my favourite places we visited in Hungary and despite only being small, I highly recommend it!

Below are some very quick sketchbook studies of how colour and shape was pieced together to build an image and a couple of my favourites later found online. 



No comments