6/featured/slider1

Sketchbook // Uni Update!

I feel like life lately has been dominated with boring admin tasks and appointments and stuff and hence I haven't had a chance to do any proper work and therefore update my blog or my Facebook page at the pace I would like, which is really sad. The plans of opening a 'Christmas shop' are now also looking slimmer and slimmer, I know it's still early days, but it's November in a week and so far all I have is rough sketches... I'm not erasing it as a possibility just yet though, don't worry! :) It's staying on my to-do list, it's just always so much more tempting than 'make 20 page presentation on a program you've never used before in 2 days.' GENUINELY. InDesign is not my friend, but at least I've finally crossed the hurdle of getting a basic understanding of it. I also learnt how to draw vector illustrations for the first time last week, nobody ever believes it when they hear that an illustration student can't use Adobe Illustrator... I'm getting there, I'm getting there.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd share a few bits from my new sketchbook and as I loved Lauren's uni update I thought I'd try and write a bit of my own. We currently have three modules going on, 'Contextualisation' (our main double module) which basically is like learning how to put our work into context and visually research in an effective way and stuuuuff. Then we have 'Contemporary Technologies' which is pretty self explanatory! And finally, our theory module for the term which is called 'Critical Frameworks' or something! 

We started the semester off with a mini project, so I do kind of feel like I'm only just getting started for the year! My two briefs at the moment are entitled 'Conflict/Resolution' and 'Imbalance', I'm slightly disappointed that they are both like 3 months long... I always lose my motivation, my train of thought and things that I could possibly sketchbook! I've focused my Conflict project research so far on lifestyle and childhood in war two, which I kickstarted last week with an almighty race around about eight museums/galleries in a day! I am so lucky to live in London, I often think like I would not know what to do with my time if I lived in any other city! It's like having a giant playground on my doorstep, I love it and I appreciate it so much that it's physically and financially possible right now. All of the sketchbook photos on this post are from that one manic day! I can't really talk in any great depth about the project at the moment as I just don't have enough knowledge/material! Same really goes for Imbalance, but I'm starting a blog for assessment over here if anyone wants to follow the progress :) I'm looking at like Chakra balance and all that jazz, I've visited a Tibetian Peace Garden and the London Buddhist centre, which were both amazing and i've been looking into Buddhist and Hindu symbols and patterns and stuff. I've also been working on my own actual website!!! Pretty excited to get that up and running... the fact I might have to start paying from 1st November might motivate me. Although I said the same about finally signing up to Creative Cloud and that hasn't happened!

I'm aware these are not the best sketchbook images I've ever shown, and to be honest I hardly feel like they're even my own style... I think there's some level of adjustment going on to make them feel all a bit more atmospheric of the project (WW2)..which is unlike anything else I've don before!
I'd love to get to the stage where I'm confident enough with my own work that I don't mind sort of 'live updating' the projects as I go along...I just hate showing work whilst it's still 'in progress' because I work in a very funny way and my creative process is a bit scattered, kinda reflects my brain!


I've been sort of toying with the idea of writing a big 'life update' because there's some things I really want to write, but at the same time, I think I need to learn what's for the internet and what isn't... i.e. stop using twitter as a 'moaning tool' ;) 

Naomi x

4 comments

  1. Great post, super duper illustrations and patterns. I don't think I could cope with month long projects, ours are usually around 5 weeks, but we do have longer and bigger ones coming! Excited to see your website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I wish I was anywhere near as talented as you. And it's entirely acceptable to use Twitter as a moaning tool. What is the internet for if not putting your thoughts out there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Makes me feel super inspired to take my sketchbook out with me. What supplies do you carry with you and do you do it all there or finish things at home?

    ReplyDelete
  4. :o .. You are amazing! I love your sketches!!!!!!! What type of sketchbook do you use?
    I am excited to see your website :D
    http://www.jaseyjade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete