6/featured/slider1

London Art Book Fair

As part of our current zine project at uni (which I still haven't done the promised blog posts about) we were told to go and have a look at the London Art Book Fair which was held at the Whitechapel Gallery. I have to admit, it wasn't quite what I was expecting... I'm not sure quite what it was that I did expect, but this was much more like a "market" set up with lots of independent book sellers. Not that that's a bad thing, it did mean I couldn't really browse the books for zine ideas and indeed only a couple of stalls even had zine-like books, buuut it did mean I could purchase '50 Years of Illustration' at a massive discount!!!!! :) The most shocking thing to me was the 1976 Argos catalogue being sold for £80, which was especially significant considering my sister who was born in that year has been working in Argos for 20 years this month! I wish I could have bought it for her, but £80 seemed a tad excessive. Nonetheless, keep your catalogues guys! They'll make you a fortune in 38 years, especially as printed catalogues will probably be dead by then. My favourite of the books I saw was on a stall which included a range of handmade books, the most exciting of which was made from hand-montaged photographs which popped up to reveal miniature scenes of building sites and things! The fact it had been done using photographic paper and assembled by hand gave it a bit of a tilt-shift feel to me and I felt as though I was looking down on the people and buildings from the perspective of a giant!! Unfortunately I could only sneak the most rubbish photo of that though as I wasn't supposed to be taking pictures at all...


Naomi x

1 comment

  1. honestly so jealous of you studying in London- I feel like I say that in every post but it's true! You get so many fantastic opportunities to visit shows and exhibitions that I wish I could. Just hope that one day I could live in London for a bit, even if it was a year just so I could experience it all!
    Lauren // OhHay Blogs!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete