6/featured/slider1

The House of Illustration: Illustrator's Fair

First off, exciting news! I have purchased a new camera, I am now the proud owner of a DSLR withe a whopping 24 megapixels amongst other groovy features. I haven't tested it properly yet, but I'm hoping to take it on a walk around my town one evening when the lighting's all nice :)

Meanwhile, yesterday Mum and I went on a bit of a spontaneous trip down to London, initially to go to the House of Illustration, a brand new gallery which I am super excited about! As part of their 'housewarming' season, yesterday they held an 'Illustrator's Fair' outside their new premises which was basically like an exhibition-slash-market of just amazing illustration pieces and products. We weren't quite sure what to expect of the event, but we weren't disappointed, there was an incredibly wide range of styles on display and it taught me a lot about the 'dos and don'ts' of selling stuff, which is handy when that's one of my main goals for the summer. We didn't buy a lot (one tote bag and a couple of cards) but it gave me the opportunity to also speak to an advisor from the house of illustration, as well as some professionals in the field. Ideally, I would prefer to work for a design studio than as an independent artist, but I know that is an easy thing to say, but a near-impossible thing to actually accomplish. But I'd like to get some freelance stuff up and running whilst I'm still at uni, so that I'm not in a scrabble of newly-grad-limbo two years from now, especially as if my health isn't any better by then I would be unlikely to hold down a full-time job with timings and work-demand dictated by other people.


Naomi x

1 comment