6/featured/slider1

What I Want In Life

This is a very personal post, so if you're not keen on reading these, come back in a couple of days instead!

My lectures finally begin again tomorrow, this has been the longest and saddest two weeks of my life and I will genuinely be so pleased to have some structure back again. The thing that was upsetting me most of all (apart from homesickness again) was worrying about the future, I've never been somebody to get concerned or anxious like this before, I very much love to live in the present, so it took me by surprise and definately shocked myself that it made me feel so panicked/upset... I currently have no idea what's going to happen after I graduate in 2 years 4 months time. I feel my course is getting me nowhere, I've learnt nothing and not progressed even slightly since September... in fact I think I've gone backwards... and I'm already in over £10000 debt, only 5 months in. Anyway, I'm now feeling lots more positive, seeing how much I've improved in the past 2 years, there is plenty of time for that level of improvement again.

 I've spent this week writing endless lists (they help, ok?) of ways to inspire creativity, companies I dream of working for, jobs I would love, work experience places to target when I'm confident enough, competitions to enter and wishlists of books/equipment etc. If I feel comfortable enough I'd like to share these all on my blog over the next few weeks. But first off, a general list of what I want in life in general!


  • A stable career, that I enjoy and provides a regular, comfortable income. 
    (I also wrote a list of possible jobs I think I'd enjoy, which I'd definately like to share! And money's not that important to me, but I get really stressed out over spending, so just enough to be comfortable would be fabulous!)
  • To be within visiting distance of mum and dad.
    I see them every three weeks at the moment and I find even that hard, but I imagine it will get easier as I get older and busier. I'd love to live near the sea and also in another country at some point though, so...!
  • A home that I can decorate in true Naomi style.
  • My own art studio in said home!
    (also been preparing a post on this)
  • Shelves and shelves of art and design books.
    (yes I've got my priorities right ;))
  • See my Impington/Cambridgeshire friends regularly but also have a good circle of friends wherever I live!
  • Have a family of my own.
  • Travel more  
    (see as much of Europe as possible, and make sure my future children do the same!)
  • Fully recover from M.E.
    (I know that some of the side effects from it will last forever, but to not be reliant on endless medication and not have to ever tailor my job/workload because of illness would literally make me the happiest person in the world)
  • Healthy work hours
    (I spent 24 hours a day working on foundation and it was soo bad for me, I just am too dedicated to some projects and I don't know when to stop! But a work-play-family-balance would be perfect)
  • Learn as much as possible
  • Live somewhere nice
  • Have recognition for my art/design work
    (even if its only 'likes' on facebook...or whatever medium overtakes facebook in the future)
  • Not to work alone
    (whilst freelance is a definate option to consider for the future, the past two weeks have taught me I could never ever work exclusively from home, I would go MAD and never ever get anything done. I'd probably procrastinate by making cake mix and eating it all without making any cakes.)
  • Be able to say I speak another language.
    (it's something I've always wanted to do, I've been up to a competent level of french and spanish before, but I never had a purpose for it outside of class and hence forgot all the grammar rules. But I am DEFINATELY taking a polylang module next year.)
  • Everyday to be productive and happy :)
    (cheesy as it sounds, at the end of the day, I just want to live a creative and happy life!)
Naomi x

4 comments

  1. I enjoyed reading this, i've been feeling exactly like you lately, just lacking motivation and even losing love for design a little bit. It's a hard step from foundation to Degree, even worse from a-level to degree i'd imagine, i think we just need to remember it takes time to get better and that's why we're on these courses after all. We have another two years to better ourselves! :) as long as the passion's there, we'll do fine. Your list is almost the same as mine. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this, and quite a lot of them overlap with mine too. I usually focus on enjoying the present too, but I think that around new year time is quite normal to be thinking more about the future year(s), but who knows what it holds! Life has it's ups and downs whoever you are, and your determination, courage and strength will take you far. Lots of love x

    P.S. really hoping you added an extra nought and that your debt isn't actually £10,000....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nopeee, my debt is actually TEN THOUSAND

      Delete
  3. I really like this, and quite a lot of them overlap with mine too. I usually focus on enjoying the present too, but I think that around new year time is quite normal to be thinking more about the future year(s), but who knows what it holds! Life has it's ups and downs whoever you are, and your determination, courage and strength will take you far. Lots of love x

    P.S. really hoping you added an extra nought and that your debt isn't actually £10,000....

    ReplyDelete