6/featured/slider1

I MET ROB RYAN :)

Today I went to Bust Magazine's Christmas Craftacular at York Hall in Bethnal Green. At first we were unsure whether to bother going in as it was £2 entry fee and I didn't know if it would be worth it when I probably couldn't afford to buy anything, but we were in the area for Brick Lane Sunday markets anyway so we thought we'd check it out. In the end, I am SO glad we made the effort, it was literally as though I'd died and gone to illustrator heaven. Rows upon rows of little stalls being held by independent designers/illustrators selling their work and things they'd made! Everything was adorable and all just so so perfect. 

Best of all, by total surprise to me, Rob Ryan was there doing a signing! I  treated myself to a beautiful mug, an extremely large original screenprint (only £5!) and a copy of his regular 'newspaper' zine (I have past copies from his columbia road shop!) Plus he signed it all and he was just so lovely, I told him that we were illustration students and he started talking to us about our university and things...and when he went to sign my newspaper but it was scrumpled he demanded that they gave me a new one! 


   

Overall it was an amazing event, I'm gutted we didnt arrive in time for the free goody bag, but it was really eye opening experience to see all different types and styles of illustration and also the products that you can make from your work. I felt a bit guilty not buying anything from the smaller, lesser known sellers, but I've always been a massive fan of Rob Ryan's work and I picked up hundreds of business cards from other artists, so I've got plenty of websites to look at for inspiration, but also potential future contacts for work experience etc! 

Naomi x


No comments